As of this writing I have 1,411 followers. I am followig 932 people and have 4,350 updates. I am not a Twitter super star- far from it. But every day I get several e-mails alerting me to new followers. I don’t follow them blindly, in fact, many times I don’t follow them at all. Here is my thought process:
- If you only have posts that say “Check out my website” – I will not follow
- If you are following a thousand people but only a hundred are following you – I will not follow
- If you have no bio – I probably won’t follow (note that if you have a bio it might overrule one of the above but also a lack of bio can be overcome by interesting posts in your recent additions)
- If your posts or bio elude to making money on Twitter – I probably won’t follow
- If your posts are in another language – sorry, if I can’t read what you’re saying why would I follow?
- If you have labeled yourself as a marketing genius or a Social Media guru – after laughing, I will probably not follow
So what is a Social Media guru? More on that on my next post/rant.